Product Manager - PREreview
Title: Product Manager
Position type: Temporary full-time employee (40hrs/week) - contract-based options are available for non-US based candidates
Compensation: $80,000-100,000 USD per year (depending on experience), plus benefits (including medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement, paid vacation)
Location: Fully remote, with occasional travel
Job length: 2 years grant-funded position, with potential for longer employment depending on performance and funds available
Works with: Primary supervision based in US Pacific, collaborators based in US Eastern and UK time zones. Ideally, the candidate’s work hours overlap with the 2pm-7pm UTC hour range.
PREreview is a woman-led, small organization with the mission to bring more equity and transparency to the scholarly peer review process. We envision a future in which every researcher is empowered with the skills to recognize and fight bias, and is welcomed into an open peer review culture where clear, constructive, actionable feedback is expected and rewarded.
Towards this vision, we design and develop open-source infrastructure to enable anyone to provide constructive feedback to preprints, we design and facilitate peer review mentoring and training programs, and we partner with like-minded organizations to create opportunities for researchers to establish meaningful collaborations and connections defeating cultural and geographical barriers.
The current PREreview platform is a free and open-source website for the crowdsourcing of preprint reviews. It is a place where community members find a welcoming, resourceful space to compose, read, endorse and comment on preprint reviews.
PREreview is a project fiscally sponsored by the US-based non-profit organization Code for Science and Society (CS&S). We are primarily a grant-funded organization; however, we also receive support via key partners such as eLife, as well as gain revenue via contracts and consulting opportunities. You can read more about our partnership with eLife here and here.
Working at PREreview
You will join a small, highly-collaborative, fully-remote team of passionate people dedicated to catalyzing culture and practice change in scholarly communication and evaluation. We value and cherish honest, direct and respectful communication, and actively cultivate a team culture of learning and iteration. You can expect to have input into projects and practices from day one, bringing a flexible, adaptable attitude and willingness to take ownership of moving your projects forward throughout their lifecycle—from conception to delivery, evaluation and iteration.
Over the past 18 months, PREreview has been working in partnership with the team at eLife—a not for profit peer-reviewed open access scientific journal for the biomedical and life sciences, as well as the team leading Sciety—an emerging new platform that aggregates preprint reviews from across the web, including PREreview.
We are excited to welcome to our team a motivated, empathic, and creative colleague who can work in close collaboration with the team at eLife and Sciety to further our shared commitment to fostering a rich ecosystem of preprint review, where access is made easier for anyone wishing to participate.
You will lead our team in developing a more robust and integrated infrastructure that can better support community engagement and growth, easy third-party site integration, and long-term sustainability within the context of a rapidly-evolving ecosystem. You will be managing the product development and design, working across teams at the intersection between technology, design, partnership and community engagement.
You will be working closely with the PREreview development team, the community engagement lead, as well as the PREreview leadership team, particularly the Director. You will also interact on a weekly basis with development, product and community teams at eLife and Sciety, managing our collaboration and ensuring clear and effective communication across teams.
Our primary target audience are researchers who belong to groups that have been traditionally marginalized and excluded from conducting scholarly peer review. You will engage with our users, as well as our key partners and stakeholders to ensure the PREreview platform continues to reflect the needs of the communities we strive to serve.
What you will do
- Work with others, including the PREreview leadership, development, and engagement teams, and teams at key partner organizations (particularly eLife and Sciety)
- Create and coordinate the successful completion of a product roadmap that will encompass the vision and strategy for the new PREreview platform
- Identify new opportunities for partnerships and collaborations to take the product forward
- Communicate with stakeholders, such as partners and collaborators
- Develop a deep understanding of our research communities and offer them spaces to provide timely input and feedback to inform and prioritize the work that comes next
- Lead the UX/UI design of the new PREreview platform
- Choose the metrics to track user engagement and measure the impact of our work
- Contribute to the evolving vision of PREreview by engaging in weekly meetings with the PREreview leadership team and contributing to the overall scoping of our programming, global impact, sustainability strategy, and embodiment of our values
Your relevant skills and experience
Please note that you will not need to have all the listed qualifications to be considered for this role.
We would love for you to have:
- 4+ years experience in product management or ownership and communicating the work clearly with partners and other members of the team
- 4+ years experience coordinating work across teams and facilitating the development and implementation of a shared roadmap
- Sensitivity toward and understanding of specific barriers that may lead to lack of access and engagement of traditionally marginalized groups
- Experience conducting work in a highly organized fashion with the ability to document actions and processes, translate objectives into specific tasks, and prioritize and assign/delegate tasks
- Experience documenting processes and writing summary impact reports to share internally and externally
It would be great if you also had:
- Experience in product design and user experience research
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Familiarity with the STEM ecosystem
Details of the position and compensation
- This is a 2-year grant-funded position, with potential for longer employment depending on performance and funds available.
- US-based candidates will be considered for a full-time regular employee position estimated at 40 hrs/week with a salary set between $80,000 and $100,000 USD annually depending on experience, plus benefits offered through TriNet, including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, and retirement.
- International candidates will be considered for a contract position.
- Candidates should already be able to work legally where they are based, as we cannot offer visa support for this position at this time.
- PREreview is a fully remote organization, with project leadership based in US Pacific (primary contact), US Eastern, and UK time. Ideally, the candidate’s work hours overlap with the 2pm-7pm UTC hour range.
- PREreview is a diverse team with multiple intersectionalities. Our team values diversity of experiences, background, identities as it gives us all the opportunity to learn from one another and better understand the needs and perspectives of the diverse communities we strive to serve.
Please follow this link to apply. At the link you will be prompted to upload a single pdf document with your résumé or CV, preferably highlighting relevant experience and education, as well as answers to four questions.
All applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We are looking to hire for this role as soon as possible.
Our hiring process includes an initial “get-to-know one another” interview which may be followed by a more in-depth, final round interview which may include scenario work or developing sample content. We recognize the time for in-depth interviewing and sample work can be material. We will compensate all candidates who complete the final round interview process. We are committed to full transparency and clarity: all questions, instructions, and procedures for the interviews will be shared in advance with every candidate. Personalized feedback will be offered to those who are invited to the final interview but are not selected for the position.
We may not be able to interview everyone who applies. However, we will strive to respond to all applicants within two weeks of receiving the application. If you do not receive a response from our team within a reasonable timeframe, please follow up directly at [email protected] to ensure we received your application.
If you need any accommodations to support your application process, please email Daniela at [email protected].
Note: Some of the wording in this job description was adapted from that used by the Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE) and Sciety, with permission.
Please email us with any questions or concerns about this position at [email protected].
PREreview is fiscally sponsored by Code for Science and Society (CS&S). CS&S is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our colleagues and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.